Image Map

Friday, January 24, 2014

Post of the Month- January- Feedback

Feedback is the topic for January for the #blogamonth challenge. As a New Teacher (NT)/ Pre-Service Teacher (PST) and Substitute Teacher, I don't always receive constant feedback from my administrators. Very rarely, when I have been on an interview, do I receive feedback from those who have interviewed me. Feedback, as a NT, PST, and sub, is SO important. How am I going to land my first job, if I do not know where I "went wrong" in my last interview, or where my true weakness is when I am teaching? 

As a teacher, our students also need to receive feedback on their learning. This feedback comes, most easily, when we return assignments-homework that was collected, a project, a quiz or test. It can also come in our daily interactions with our students. If I saw one of the students I subbed for start to slip in their grades, I confronted the student. I would ask if they felt they needed extra help in that particular lesson, or if there were things going on at home. I would also send one grade reports, prior to progress reports or report cards. Not every family is going to have a computer with internet access, or they will not always sign up for the "parent portal", so sending the grades home is my way of trying to convey to parents, and students, how they are doing in my class. Emails, phone calls, and notes home are also good ways to give feedback to students. 

Feedback does not always have to be "negative". Positive feedback is more effective. I loved, during student teaching, when my 2nd graders would be able to move their clip up, especially if it was a student who rarely showed a specific behavior. As a teacher, I respond better to positive feedback than negative, however, I have gotten a lot better at accepting and listening to constructive criticism. 

During the rest of this academic school year, I am going to try my hardest to reflect more on my own practice to see if I can help myself improve. I will also not be afraid to ask others for guidance. My PLN grows more every day, and I know they are ready to help me when I need it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment