Image Map

Friday, November 27, 2015

Morning Routine for Teachers


Every teacher has their own routine of things to do once they arrive in the Morning. Mine is a huge list, that requires me to arrive at school almost an hour before I'm supposed to. This has helped my sanity during these first few years, and I'm sure it will lessen the more experience I get. The list also changes depending on the time of year. For example, at the end of the month, I change decorations, calendars, and more.




Step 1: Settle in.
Once I've unlocked my door, and brought my bags in, I usually take a moment to settle in. I turn on the computer, enjoy my coffee, and make a list of things that NEED to be done for the day. Some days, it's a short list and other days it is crazy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Step 2: Updating the calendars
Every day, I look at my calendar. I double check to see what I had planned for the week. Are there any events happening? Did I forget to write about the assembly today for my plans? Do I have duty today? I also cross off the previous day. When I show the day is done, it is a solid, black curvy line going from the bottom left corner to the top right corner. At the end of the month, I also add another step in. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Step 2a: Setting up the next month's calendar
Setting up the next month's calendar is always a fun thing for me. I sit with both my school calendar (usually up on the computer) and my personal calendar. I pencil in various dates and events, so that I know what is going on for planning my lessons. Everything is color coded to my Erin Condren planner. Mondays are red, Tuesdays are orange, Wednesdays are green, Thursdays are blue, and Fridays are purple. Any days that are off from school are shown with a solid gray line going from the top left corner to the bottom right corner. If I am taking a day off from school for personal or professional reasons, it is shown with a dotted gray line going from the top left corner to the bottom right corner. I show a half day by placing a 1/2 symbol in the top right corner in gray marker. If I am festive enough, I attempt to draw pictures. I'm obviously not an art teacher, but it still looks nice.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Step 3: Update the schedule
Once I've updated my calendar, I look at the schedule, and CHAMPS board. I usually need to update the schedule, but I don't always have to update the CHAMPS. CHAMPS helps my class understand what they are doing for the day, and what materials they need to be successful. I HATE repeating directions. Like the CHAMPS board? Purchase it here. Do you love the schedule pieces? Purchase them here.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Step 4: Update the homework board
I then update the homework board and reminders for the students. My handwriting is not the best, but it works just the same. We write down any important paper reminders, any homework I know I'll be giving them for the night. Usually that means updating the Spelling homework, Reading homework and Science.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Step 5: Open the blinds
Pretty self explanatory. I love that my blinds now have a chain and wheel...makes everything a lot easier to do!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Step 6: Take down/Put up decorations
Every so often, especially at the end/beginning of seasons, I put up and take down decorations for my windows. Since before break was the "end" of the month, I took down my pumpkins. Next week, I'll end up putting up snowmen and snowflakes for the holidays and winter months.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Step 7: Update the 40 Book Challenge List
My class does a 40 Book challenge during the year. I ask them to read 40 books from a variety of genres. We are getting pretty close to 25 books read! When they complete the challenge, I go out and purchase a $5 gift card for Barnes and Noble for them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Step 8: Water Plants
One of the last things I do is to water my plants. I have a huge jungle of plants available in my classroom. Most of them get watered on Mondays and Fridays. Every so often, I water them a little bit on Wednesday, depending on how the soil looks and if the plant usually takes more water. When I'm absent, I have two students who will water for me on Fridays.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This doesn't include the making of copies, placing items into the mailboxes, checking and replying to emails, and more. These are things that are constantly done at both the beginning and end of the day.

I hope this "list" is helpful for you. What do you do to prepare for the day??

No comments:

Post a Comment